If you have some of those friends who think that vegan food is all about salads and Grateful Dead songs, make them this dish and you will change their collective worldview. This vegan Asian style stir fry tasted as good as any beef dish I’ve had at an Asian restaurant and it was way healthier (less fat, fewer calories, same yummy).
The dish is built around the fantastic Gardein Beefless Tips (very similar to their “Beefless Strips” that we covered earlier) and is actually a modified version of the recipe that comes on the back of the package.
- Marinate the frozen tips for ten minutes in:
- Garlic powder
- A bit of canola oil
- Add the mixture into a hot, lightly oiled pan and brown the tips on all sides.
- Add in diced onion and peppers into the searing hot pan and stir fry for one minute.
- Add in the following sauce mixture, cover and cook for a couple of minutes:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sambal or sriracha
- 3-5 tbsp soy sauce (depends on how salty you want it to be)
- Serve hot over rice (with optional musical accompaniment) and let your friends’ preconceived notions about vegan food come crashing down.